Even with peak hold, you're limited by the sampling rate
on the DMM.

My DMM has a clamp. I set it up to peak hold voltage, and
it showed no back EMF from my motor when I turned off
power, so I thought it had an internal flyback diode and
did not install one externally.

Then I used the clamp ammeter and peak hold, and I got
wildly different peak current measurements. That got me
to pull out the specifications and discover that the sampling
rate was lower than I expected, so peak hold wasn't very
meaningful regarding inrush current.

That has made me suspect that I need to add a flyback
diode too, even though I never detected any back EMF
with peak hold voltage.