On 30 Apr 2014 at 20:36, Michael Ross wrote:

> So what should I be paying for?  Weight? $/lb value?  $/Ah value?  I am
> hoping at least for directed opinion.

Who was it who categorized all falsehoods as lies, damn lines, and battery
pitches?  I think it may have been Lee Hart. ;-)

Especially with cheap, no-name batteries, amp-hour ratings can be iffy.
There are many ways that battery salesmen can fudge the numbers.

If you're a battery manufacturer, you can make a battery's capacity seem
higher by rating it at a very slow discharge - perhaps C100 (100-hour
discharge, common for PV systems for some reason) instead of the standard
C20 (20 hour discharge).  OTOH, some of the good batteries are actually
rated at C5.

Or you can measure capacity at some absurdly high temperature that would
degrade the battery in a few weeks if you actually used it that way.

Or you can measure highly optimized lab samples made with high quality
materials, but conveniently ignore the poorly made junk that actually comes
off the asembly line.

Or you can just outright lie about it.

So I'd say that price/amp-hour is pretty iffy.

Weight is a better indicator of real capacity.  Lead is your fuel.  Again,
make sure your vendor is telling the truth!

This can also change if you're drawing large currents.  You might find that
a battery with a lower C20 capacity than another one actually has a higher
C1 capacity.

The factor which models capacity loss at high currents is the Peukert
(pronounced POY-kairt) exponent.  If you have a capacity rating for your
battery at two different currents, or if you have C20 and reserve capacity
(and you can actually trust the manufacturer's rating), you can calculate
the Peukert exponent with this calculator:

http://evdl.org/uve/battery.html

The lower the Peukert exponent, the more capacity the battery will have at
high currents.  Some (but not all) AGM batteries can approach a Peukert
exponent of 1.1.

David Roden
EVDL Administrator
http://www.evdl.org/