Yes, low sampling rates are a confounding influence.

You can get a better idea  by sampling the sampling.  Don't just take 1
reading take many.  For really short duration spikes you might never find
it, but is they last say 1/10th of the sampling rate then you might catch
them or at least the slope of them on the way up or down.  There is also
the problem that they are probably also averaging a bit so spikes look
smaller than they really are.  This is where an oscilloscope shines.  An
old analog one is actually better for spotting glitches and spikes than a
newer digital scope.