From: "Ben Goren via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "tomw" <tomofreno2...@yahoo.com>; "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 19-Nov-14 7:08:04 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Hand-wringing EV angst is not a real problem

On Nov 19, 2014, at 7:27 AM, tomw via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

A person's viewpoint on this and many other things depends on how risk averse s/he is, and we all tend to think our level of risk aversion is just about
 right and any that is quite different is unreasonable.

Range anxiety, I think, is even more governed by typical and expected use cases.

If you have a five mile commute and the next city is thirty miles away and you can't imagine needing to go there on a whim, range anxiety isn't going to exist even with a vehicle with only 50 miles of range.

If you live (as I do) in the Phoenix metro area, a vehicle with an 80-mile EPA range probably won't even be able to make it from Apache Junction (the city on the eastern edge of the Valley) to Buckeye (on the western edge) on a single charge.

Risk aversion is going to be secondary to that. Maybe you live in the small town and you're not very risk averse, so a 20-mile range seems luxurious; maybe you live in the small town and you _are_ risk averse and that 50-mile range is what it takes to calm your fears. But, no matter how risk averse you are or aren't, if you live in Surprise and work in downtown Phoenix and can't plug in (a perfect description of another friend of mine), that 50-mile car isn't even going to get you all the way home. This same friend also sometimes has to go to Mesa as part of the job, and _that_ round trip is itself outside of even the Leaf's EPA range. She'd probably honestly need a 200-mile range just to get to the same level of lack of range anxiety as that person in the small town would have with a 20-mile range.

b&