 From: Ben Goren via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: tomw <tomofreno2...@yahoo.com>; Electric Vehicle Discussion List
<ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:08 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Hand-wringing EV angst is not a real problem

On Nov 19, 2014, at 7:27 AM, tomw via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> A person's viewpoint on this and many other things depends on how risk averse
> s/he is, and we all tend to think our level of risk aversion is just about
> right and any that is quite different is unreasonable.

Range anxiety, I think, is even more governed by typical and expected use cases.

If you have a five mile commute and the next city is thirty miles away and you
can't imagine needing to go there on a whim, range anxiety isn't going to exist
even with a vehicle with only 50 miles of range.

If you live (as I do) in the Phoenix metro area, a vehicle with an 80-mile EPA
range probably won't even be able to make it from Apache Junction (the city on
the eastern edge of the Valley) to Buckeye (on the western edge) on a single
charge.

Risk aversion is going to be secondary to that. Maybe you live in the small
town and you're not very risk averse, so a 20-mile range seems luxurious; maybe
you live in the small town and you _are_ risk averse and that 50-mile range is
what it takes to calm your fears. But, no matter how risk averse you are or
aren't, if you live in Surprise and work in downtown Phoenix and can't plug in
(a perfect description of another friend of mine), that 50-mile car isn't even
going to get you all the way home. This same friend also sometimes has to go to
Mesa as part of the job, and _that_ round trip is itself outside of even the
Leaf's EPA range. She'd probably honestly need a 200-mile range just to get to
the same level of lack of range anxiety as that person in the small town would
have with a 20-mile range.

b&