Well, I am no physicist Jerry but it seems that they would attract on another
if there was a magnetic field inside. Here is an except from a physics
professor.
A good electrolyte has several interesting properties; for one thingit has lots
of ion-pairs in it. When we put an ion-pair in anelectrical field, such as in
the Ni-Fe gap, the positive ion willtend to driftone way and the negative ion
will tend to drift the other way. This processwill continue until the
electrochemical field in the interiorof the gap becomes a constant, independent
of position, whichis the equilibrium condition. There could be some
electricalpotential gradient; I don’t think there is much but therecould be
some. And there could be some concentration gradient;again I don’t think there
is much, but there could be some. Inany case, when you consider the
concentration gradient andthe electrical gradient together, in equilibrium
there is nonet motion of ions. In the simplest case, there is no
electricalfield (hence no drift) and no concentration gradient (hence no
netdiffusion). In the more general case, drift due to theelectrical potential
gradient is counterbalanced by diffusion along theconcentration gradient. The
two gradients point in oppositedirection, and when we add the two effects
(electrical andconcentration) we find that the electrochemical potentialhas
zero gradient.All that applies to the interior of the gaps, in the
bulkelectrolyte. At the ends of each gap, there will, in general, be
someaccumulation of ions. This produces a complicated dipole layer (akabilayer)
there. The strength of the dipole layer depends on theproperties of the
electrolyte, as well as on the properties of theadjacent metal, as discussed in
section 2.4. The strength ofthe dipole layer determines how the potential in
the interior of thegap is related to the potential in the interior of the
adjacent metal.For more about the importance of dipole layers, see reference 3.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/battery.htm