From: "EVDL Administrator via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: "EVDL Administrator" <evp...@drmm.net>
Sent: 24-Jul-20 8:18:55 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: $40k Nissan Ariya fwd .jp EV r:300mi

On 24 Jul 2020 at 12:39, Willie via EV wrote:

 I continue to be amused

Says the guy who, if I'm not mistake, has multiple Teslas.  :-\

Lots of us can't even afford ONE Tesla, and we are not so amused.  So it's
heartening to read that Tesla is finally getting on track to an affordable
EV, though personally I'd rather they made it somewhere other than Xi
Jinping's China.

However, if they're going to play to that market, they have some catching up
to do.  Volkswagen is forging Chinese automaker partnerships so fast I can
barely follow them - FAW, SAIC, JAC.  They're still building Chinese
factories, but even from their German factories, the ID.3 is well ahead of
the Tesla 3 in affordability. When they get the VW/JAC Sol E20X (under
US$20k, 50kWh battery, 400km range) in production in China, they'll be hard
to beat.

For now, Renault is the outside automaker arguably out in front in China
with the K-ZE already on the road there (under US$10k, 27kWh battery, 250km
range).  Renault also has a significant advantage in being allowed to use
their own name in China.

A tarted-up version of the K-ZE will reach Europe in about a year, to be
sold as the Dacia Spring.  The Renault Zoe was Europe's #1 selling EV in
2020-H1.  Renault has a shot at owning the low end too, if they give the
Spring enough range and price it aggressively.  But I'm afraid that they'll
hobble it, so it doesn't steal sales from Zoe.

Either way, it appears to me that some of the traditional automakers are
already several meters ahead of Tesla in the cheap and cheerful Chinese EV
race.

If Tesla stumbles, the big guys have a good shot at lapping them in Asia and
Europe, where the future of EVs lies.  Owning the US EV market won't be much
of a consolation prize for Tesla, with our economy sliding into the
dumpster.

I hope they nail it.  I'll be watching for a $25k Tesla.  I'm not so sure
I'd actually buy one, not that anyone cares, but I mIght be amused. :-)

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my