The updates are a small net positive. They could be a large net positive.

They are also mostly voluntary. TMC does have some threads where owners
have reported forced, remotely pushed, updates from old firmware that
owners wanted to remain on (especially because of the battery cap issue or
v9 feature decrease).

We have not experienced that, but we attempted to prevent that when we
wanted to remain on an old firmware. Service visits force you to get
software updates, even when the service is on parts that should not be
firmware version dependant (e.g. solid metal suspension components).

We have experienced the slow maps/navigation issues, slow browser, and loss
of split screen feature going from 8.x to 10.x. We completely skipped 9.x
because it was missing more features compared to 8.x than 10.x, and the TMC
community was still gathering evidence on which vehicles were getting
battery capacity caps. We skipped the update that had the heated steering
wheel issue. Then the reports of battery capping started rolling in, and
then v9 happened. We ended up skipping many updates in a row. (Note: v9
brought a Model 3-like UI to S/X.)

Slow browser may be a side effect of maps in background, as resources are
burned updating the mostly overlayed background maps. It definitely
detracts from the UI experience.

A 6 year old Android phone (Samsung S6) gives a faster/better maps and
browser experience. OTOH, the cpu/graphics hardware (NVidia Tegra 3) in
MCU1 dates to 2011, so at 10 years it is definitely aging. That should mean
firmware updates need to be cognizant of performance limitations, and
disable eye candy when there isn't performance to spare. Live
maps-in-background as wallpaper is eye candy. It also wastes some pixels
that could go to the foreground app.

We have experienced autopilot improvements between 8.x and 10.x. It is
better than before and can handle more situations. It still needs to be
watched closely anytime things get tight, sharp, or crowded. Unusual exits,
where the main road curves away, and the exit goes straight ahead, can also
be iffy. It's pretty reasonable in wide open spaces on limited access
highways and freeways, though we know of a few trouble spots with exits.
Increased attention should be given when on unfamiliar roads so as to be
able to safely learn where the trouble spots are at, and to take over
control if needed. That means resting a hand on the wheel at all times.

Extra care is always due at any intersections, whether on AP or not.
Defensive driving following biker rules (assume you are invisible) is also
good idea.

The methodology used to roll updates out is flawed. At a minimum, owners
should be able to roll back to the immediately prior version. As I
understand it, the flash memory is partitioned into 2 main areas used to
store the firmware. The bootloader is configured to boot from the most
recent version of the 2 partitions. During an update, the older version is
overwritten and then the system reboots from the newly installed version.
Giving owners the ability to rollback from N to N-1 should be an option.

Before installing updates, I advise owners to read the forums for postings
mentioning the experience of others with the latest firmware updates,
especially if they are satisfied with how their current firmware works, and
extra especially if the firmware is for a major version change. (Roughly,
the idea is if it's not broken, don't try to fix it. The biggest hole in
this approach is how to balance that with security updates to what amounts
to an Internet-connected device.)

That last paragraph also applies to any computer technology that isn't
designed with user rollbacks in mind. Many mobile phones and tablets,
particularly those with locked bootloaders, have similar firmware
limitations.

IMO Tesla firmware 9.x is a bit like Windows 8/8.1 that was between better
releases Window 7 and Windows 10. Unlike Windows on x86/x64 computers,
rolling back firmware isn't available to owners.

Upgrading MCU1 to MCU2 is possible, for $2000-$2500 (including the FM
module) and loss of AM reception. Loss of AM affects S/X cars built before
April 2018; later cars never had AM. AM can work alright in EVs. Tesla had
it, and Nissan did too (at least in Leaf G1).

On naysayers and fan club members: naysayers will use anything as a reason
to complain. Fan club members will rebuff any complaints as being
non-issues/impossible/fake.

But there is a middle ground area too...contructive critics who consider
Tesla EVs to currently offer the best compromise/best trade-offs amongst
the various options out there. They're stakeholders by virtue of owning
product and possibly also owning TSLA stock. Product owners who are also
(long term) shareholders have a doubly vested interest in the ownership
experience and success of the company. Tesla would be well advised to give
their concerns and feedback serious consideration. They may be early
adopters who are more tolerant of product issues...if those issues are
responded to in a reasonable manner with actual fixes, not dodges, or
copouts. Stuff that early adopters tolerate, may not be acceptable to the
broader market, and will leave cracks that competitors can exploit.

We have over 100k miles EV experience across 4 different EVs. The majority
of that in Tesla EVs, in the past few years. This is in large part because
it is a lot easier to rack up the miles when you have access to a reliable,
fast, national charging network.