On 17 Jun 2014, at 10:02 pm, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

>> What makes a human intelligent is CREATIVITY and that is by now well
>> understood and no, machines (the human constructed ones) cannot do that yet.
>
> Kim, what do you think of this:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolved_antenna

I find that very exciting indeed, Telmo. This indeed looks like real creativity
to me. The process of selecting the right shape came about by a random
generator followed by evaluation of usefulness. That's precisely what Lateral
Thinking is and does.

This bit is even more to the point:

"The resulting antenna often outperforms the best manual designs, because it
has a complicated asymmetric shape that could not have been found with
traditional manual design methods."

Creativity involves CURIOSITY ("Suck it and see..."). There is some kind of
attractor that pulls the interest, the attention for a human that sends the
mind in a certain direction. Judgement is suspended while exploration takes
place. The machine on the other hand can approximate that with random choice
algorithms. The only thing missing here from this is self-awareness. Otherwise
I would say we have the basis of personhood. So, I was wrong. A machine can
pull something out of nothing. It's still a bit zombified but getting close.
Thanks.

Kim