On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 9:12 AM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>
wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 05:22:53AM +0200, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 1:18 AM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au
> >
> > wrote:

> compatible
> denotes
> machines/notion
> > > of
> > > supervenes
> we
> > > seem
> > >
> > > Materialism just means consciousness supervenes on matter. This is
> > > Chalmers' definition, and is how I use the word. We've been over this
> > > many times - the UDA does not rule out physical supervenience. If it
> > > did, it would be so much the worse for COMP.
> > >
> > > What the UDA does rule out is physicalism, the notion that the physical
> > > reality is all there is.
> > >
> > > Bruno's "primitive matter" is just physicalism. Some people seem to
> > > conflate materialism with physicalism - Michael Lockwood is one, for
> > > instance, but I'd prefer to distinguish them like Chalmers does.
> > >
> > > The MGA does drive a contradictio between physical supervenience and
> > > COMP, but the point of my paper which started this thread is that the
> > > MGA only works in a non-robust universe. Thus COMP is perfectly
> > > compatible with materialism in a robust universe.
> > >

> > Where you still require the complete integral realization of the UD,
> robust
> > time and space in causal/historical relations, that each have to be
> > accounted for and explained themselves: stating "physical quantum
> computer
> > multiverse" doesn't clarify the extravagant, as Bruno put it, weirdness
> of
> > "flipping the switch" consciousness relation to matter.
> >
> > To be short: the physical realization part of computation for
> > counterfactual correctness of diverging branch is the baroque thing that
> > bothers me. I don't see the need or what is gained/clarified as such. PGC
> >

> In every robust universe, all counterfactual realities are realised by
> the universal dovetailer. You don't get a choice about it being
> needed, nor does it matter in slightest what it clarifies.

Lol, but I do: this model seems too baroque. The relation between matter
and consciousness becomes fuzzy, in a fashion that what MGA points towards
avoids. It is therefore not my choice, which has less to do with its author
selling too hard, even though I have complemented his effort behind the
paper in the past on this list, but more to do with taste: it is not my cup
of tea though it may be yours. Too fancy and unclear. I don't see the
relevance of quantum aspect and how this relates to changing the funky
relation between consciousness and "physical quantum computer matter",
whatever that is. Seems to be platonically malleable urstuff, at least to a
certain extent. PGC