On 4/27/2015 7:34 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:

I think it is appropriate to look more closely at the dovetailer. As I understand it, the dovetailer calculates all computable functions over the natural numbers: phi_i(x) = y where x and y are natural numbers. In other words, phi_i is a map of the set of integers on to itself.

For example, the function phi(x) = x^2 +7 is one such function:
phi(1)=8, phi(2)=11, phi(3)=16, and so on.

So all that such a map does is establish a set of relations between natural numbers: 1<->7, 2<->11, 3<->16, and so on.

As I understand it the dovetailer runs all possible algorithms, whether they terminate or not. In fact one problem with idea seems be that the measure of threads thru a particular state will be dominated by short, non-terminating loops.