On 30 Apr 2015, at 13:42, David Nyman wrote:

On 30 April 2015 at 09:10, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

Platonia runs all possible CPU, and it is a certainty that all those computer and execution of computers exists in Platonia (which is a very little platonia compared to the one used in physics and analysis).

On the contrary, some people might argue that a physical computation is only an approximation of those in Platonia, and that there are no computers in the physical reality.

I'm happy to offer myself as a candidate for "some people" in this regard. It's all too easy to overlook the fact that, *on strictly materialist assumptions*, there is no independent justification for regarding physical activity as 'performing a computation', or some approximation thereof, other than as a convention. On the assumption that everything reduces hierarchically to some canonically primitive level, all action must proceed relentlessly from the bottom up and with complete indifference to our perceptual or conceptual convenience.

I agree, but this is not entirely obvious. You can get this by UDA- MGA, but without this or similar, a materialist could remain non- eliminativist, and say that very plausibly his brain is doing the "right informatoion treatment" as he considered that his headache (which he assures you is not there by convention) does result from its brain doing the right computational information treatment, and that this is possible to explain (for example with G/G*, etc.). Of course we know that this works only if the physical reality is itself emergent, and that is why comp makes the mind-body problem two times more difficult than for a materialist, as we have to justify consciousness but also matter.

Here we are in a place where I think you type of argument can still be used to criticize comp itself. Comp explains matter, but someone can reason along your line and pretend that it still fail to explain entirely consciousness. It just push the bottom on an arbitrary Turing universalm level, and makes everything into dreams, some cohere enough to give matter and consciousness, but consciousness looks like it is still explained in term of (infinities) of 3p relations, as the view from inside can be invoked by the materialist (forgetting that by using comp, he must explain matter too).

Of course, the standard riposte here is that this is all very well but such things as the 'software' level of explanation remain as a requirement for *human* understanding. But in the context of the mind-body problem (and particularly on the assumption of physical primitiveness) that would be to immediately beg all the questions that want an answer.

OK.

I should have thought that this would be particularly obvious to anyone favouring the view that mathematics, and hence the notion of computation itself, is nothing more than a free invention of the (presumably all-too-physical) human mind.

Yes. But this can't work, of course. That is why we have to postulate a Turing universal reality independent of the human mind. Luckily we have a lot of them, like arithmetic (assumed by everyone) or combinators, etc. Note that once we have one of them, the independent reality of all the others is acquired. You can defined 0, 1, 2, ... with the combinators and prove that 2+2=4, and similarly, you can defined the combinators in arithmetic, and show that they do what they have to to do.

But then the rest is still related to a multilevel graded and layered sotware theory. The only thing very new here, is that incompleteness forces the machine do introduce the distinction between justfiable, relatively justifiable; knowable, probable, true, dreamed, consistent, etc.

It is an arithmetical fact that the logic of----provable('2+3=5') & 2 + 2 = 5-----is different from the logic of ---provable('2+2=5')---.

mathematicians and even many logicians does not like so much the intensional part of computer science and logic, and modal logic where decried for a long time. Quine said that they were born in sin, and he raises some difficulties. But today, we know that incompleteness reintroduce two mathematical modal logic having a clear extensional meaning, yet being intensional in meaning, and worst, (but this is ignored except from a minority like Goldbaltt, Boolos, Artemov, ...), that incompleteness forces the machine to recognize the Theaetetus distinctions between []p and []p & p. Not only does they have different modal, intensional, logics (G and S4Grz) but they have quite distinct features: G models the 3-I (the 3p thing that you let the doctor re-implement it in the artificial brain). S4Grz models the knowledge of a non nameable 1-I, like it is normal for the 1-notion to be. The knower as no name, no 3p description *from* its first person point of view. (we know better, but only for mich simpler theory that we trust, like PA). Typically, the machine *should* say No to the doctor, or violate its intuition by betting on some substitution level, and becoming a practical computationalist.

Consciousness seems to appear with the law that p implies bewesibar('p') when p is computable (sigma_1). p -> []p is true

Löbianity, self-consciousness is when that fact is recognize by the machine. p -> []p is provable. This entails a form of self-awareness []p -> [][]p, as []p is sigma_1. But this is mirrored in the S4Grz logic, which obeys that law too.

I will come back on this.

Bruno

David