On 11 June 2015 at 12:20, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> LizR wrote:
>
>>     meekerdb wrote:
>>         On 6/10/2015 1:34 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>>             Can you explain why such interaction is not computable?
>>
>>         No, I was relying on your assertion that physics is not
>>         computable - which would entail that brain processes are not
>>         computable, which would imply that comp1 is false.  Except
>>         there's a loophole: if comp1 means replacement by a physical
>>         object then the physics of that object is not computable either
>>         and so it might work.
>>
>> Yes, that does seem to follow. And the brain replacement might happen to
>> work, but we'd have no idea how (magic? supernatural?)
>>

> Why is it that when ever someone doesn't understand something they jump to
> the conclusion that it must involve magic or the supernatural. It is not
> possible that we might simply not yet know everything?

Just illustrative. The other available alternatives to reality being
computable are oracles, hypercomputers, the physical existence of a
continuum, and maybe a few other things this margin is too small to contain.

>  I suspect that "physics is not computable" is the /end/ result of Brnuo's
>> argument (comp2) - which is supposed to be a /reductio/ on the notion of
>> comp1. So comp1 assumes that physics is computable, and that assumption
>> leads to the result that it isn't. Which is taken as an argument against
>> physical supervenience of consciousness on brains, although it could
>> equally be an argument against brains performing computations.
>>

> If that is the line of reasoning, then it would help if it were made more
> explicit. I expect that the reason that it is not more explicit is that it
> is actually incoherent. If comp1 leads to the conclusion that comp1 is
> false, then comp1 is inconsistent. Not just false, *inconsistent*. And as
> Brent is fond of saying, /ex falso quodlibet/. Or better, /ex
> contradictione sequitur quodlibet/.

I think it is made explicit. Bruno has often claimed that his argument is a
*reductio* on the physical supervenience thesis, assuming I've got that
right. He is trying to show that the assumptions of comp1 lead to a
contradiction (and one of the assumptions of comp1 is that consciousness
supervenes on brains).

I think that's correct. I'm sure Bruno will correct me if I've
misunderstood.