On 6/12/2015 8:34 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 10 Jun 2015, at 21:00, meekerdb wrote:

On 6/10/2015 1:34 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 10 Jun 2015, at 01:15, meekerdb wrote:

On 6/9/2015 11:04 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

You say that comp is useless, but what is your theory of mind. What is not Turing emulable in the brain?

Its interaction with the universe.

Are you sure it is not the interaction with God?

Dunno, Samiya seems to the expert on what God does.

Samya did not invoke God as an explanation! Usually she (to easily) make that understanding beyond human comprehension. (Which is true, but might be of the type G* minus G.)

What is the need to invoke a universe when we might perhaps be on an explanation of where the appearance of the universe, and consciousness/knowledge come from, in a testable way?

That is exactly my criticism of your theory. I think you do need to invoke a universe, i.e. an environment, in order to supply meaning to computations and avoid the absurdity of the rock that computes everything. But if you have to invoke a universe to explain how computation instantiates thought you can't use thought to explain the universe. It's just another aspect of the "white rabbit" problem (whose name I have never understood; white rabbits are common). It's all very well to say thought is computation and all computation is implicit in arithmetic so all thought is implicit in arithmetic. The problem is getting it out - showing that the rock computes something, not everything.