On 8/6/2016 4:58 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
If we think about engineering an autonomous being it becomes obvious that this is a good architecture. Decision making should be hierarchical with only a few requiring system-wide consideration. With RF communication this autonomous being could easily "be"in both Moscow and Washington.

I agree. Of course this does not change the step 3 conclusion if that is needed to say. There is just no RF communication available,

But that's where you're taking for granted physics which, later, you're going to conclude is to be inferred from statistics on computations and is otiose. It's like saying A, B, C, D, ...entail Z, but Z shows there's no reason believe A.

I think you've agreed that physics is necessary to our world, whether primary or not. So I suggest that instead of starting with the hypothesis that consciousness is a computation, let's leave questions of consciousness to the end and start with Tegmark 2.0, "Physics is computation". Then I take Bruno's version to be:

A. The totality of reality consists of all possible computable universes and histories
B. Mathematics is real.
C. An UD will realize all possible computation, and hence the totality of reality. D. The world of our experience is a thread, or threads, of the UD computation that, according to some measure, have statistical coherence and hence realize a world with the regularity that we interpret as "the laws of physics".

If that argument is accepted, then even if consciousness is an epiphenomenon of physics, it will still be a some computational entity in the universe picked out by our "laws of physics". From there Bruno may well argue that the threads of consciousness are certainly epistemologically prior and we should regard them as fundamental and "the laws of physics" are inferences (which change with new data).