On Sunday, August 7, 2016 at 4:27:56 PM UTC+2, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 06 Aug 2016, at 20:00, Brent Meeker wrote:
>

> C. An UD will realize all possible computation, and hence the totality of
> reality.
>

> Brent, please reread the UDA.

Perhaps but perhaps you should reread it.

Or rewrite it to be more communicable or... dare I say the word "fun". As
in how Smullyan presented Gödel to a wider audience. There's a voice in
your head right now that says "Smullyan has no real contribution"; but
understand that Smullyan was able to relate to people without pushing his
buddies into "doing their homework" on public list. He was able to relate
to children and make his classrooms laugh.

Ok, the fact that you have to refer people to "go do their homework" so
often (with Telmo a few weeks ago, with Russell few weeks ago, with John
every day, with Brent today) can reflect that the teacher is so far beyond
his students that they should be less lazy and catch up... but
pedagogically this is medieval stuff with catholic overtones. We are
further than that in pedagogical terms today: this state of affairs could
just as well reflect that the homework problem or the resources it
presupposes are not clear or accessible to anybody interested, and that the
teacher may be doing a bad job sorting his teaching material or organizing
his presentation, perhaps because he uses every free second to convert John
Clark and Bruce.

Brent shows good faith in exposing his particular summary understanding and
your medieval pedagogical approach tells him to "do the work" and possibly
soon to confess why he isn't doing said work. We may agree on possibility
of comp but as teacher I prefer softer approaches, which is why you and I
have our differences regarding communicability problem and its approaches
and why I stay mute on most matters here: my school practices its own
interpretation and doesn't need public advertising. Plato is not only alive
in academic sense: he allows me to make comfortable living, as people are
not used to that distance, perspective, respect, and decency. Also, it
mixes well with musical pedagogy.

Are we so addicted to the format of posting fast informal messages, that we
loose sight of the major communicability problem that education faces,
particularly in insecure political and anxiety ridden times where every
message gets oversimplified in the insecure fetish to render everything
secure and clear? I thought you and this list are immune to this media
trend, but instead you post more, expecting it to clarify more. This is
naive in a way I know you to be familiar with, so I remain astonished with
your answers and pedagogical moves of late. If we don't have faith in
ourselves we will always project negativity onto others instead of
focussing on and enlarging the potential of new beginning. PGC