Speaking of time: https://arxiv.org/abs/1606.04759

A minimalist approach to conceptualization of time in quantum theory
H. Kitada <https://arxiv.org/find/quant-ph/1/au:+Kitada_H/0/1/0/all/0/1>, J.
Jeknic-Dugic
<https://arxiv.org/find/quant-ph/1/au:+Jeknic_Dugic_J/0/1/0/all/0/1>, M.
Arsenijevic
<https://arxiv.org/find/quant-ph/1/au:+Arsenijevic_M/0/1/0/all/0/1>, M.
Dugic <https://arxiv.org/find/quant-ph/1/au:+Dugic_M/0/1/0/all/0/1>
(Submitted on 15 Jun 2016 (v1 <https://arxiv.org/abs/1606.04759v1>), last
revised 4 Sep 2016 (this version, v2))

Ever since Schrodinger, Time in quantum theory is postulated Newtonian for
every reference frame. With mathematical rigor, we show that the concept of
the so-called Local Time allows avoiding the postulate. In effect, time
appears as neither fundamental nor universal on the quantum-mechanical
level while being consistently attributable to every, at least
approximately, closed quantum system as well as to every of its
(conservative or not) subsystems.

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 1:40 AM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 9/13/2016 6:25 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
>
> On 14/09/2016 10:13 am, Brent Meeker wrote:
>
> On 9/13/2016 7:22 AM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>
> On Sunday, 11 September 2016, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> In the UD model of the world, time as we perceive it, is emergent.  The
>> "execution" of the program is timeless and exists in Platonia.  So the
>> steps of the UD have no duration, they are logically prior to time and
>> duration.  On the other hand, I think so called "observer moments" must
>> have duration in the emergent sense and must overlap.  But their relation
>> to the UD threads is more aspirational than proven.
>>
> I think it should be possible to pause and restart at any point a process
> underpinning consciousness and leave the stream of consciousness unchanged;
> otherwise there would be a radical decoupling of the mental from the
> physical. At the limit, this means the process underpinning consciousness
> can be cut up into infinitesimals.
>

> Infinitesimals, I think not, at least not in Bruno's model.  Each thread
> of the UD's computation can be cut and restarted, but underlying an
> "observer moment" or a "thought" are infinitely many threads and there is
> no reference by which you can define cutting them all at "the same time".
> So they make the "time" of consciousness essentially real valued.
>

> That understanding of an "observer moment" appears to undermine the "Yes
> Doctor" scenario. The point of YD, it seems to me, is that one can replace
> oneself with a computer running some program -- the digital simulation at
> the basis of mechanism. Such a simulation, being a single computation, can
> be stopped and restarted at will without the observer being conscious of
> anything. If consciousness, or "observer moments", are intrinsically made
> up of an infinite number of threads, then this is not possible, and YD
> fails.
>

> Right, except I take the other fork.  I think you can stop and restart a
> consciousness - with a small gap; and if you can it contradicts Bruno's
> model of a single consciousness being a kind of statistical mechanics over
> UD threads.  That model is motivated by Everett in which there are many
> possible evolutions of the wave function which are equivalent at the
> classical level (where thoughts are instantiated).  But Everett and all QM
> assume a background time in which evolution takes place.  Bruno intends
> that physical time emerge from the model.
>
> Brent

Kindest Regards,

Stephen Paul King

Senior Researcher