On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 09:03:04PM -0700, Brent Meeker wrote:

> We must be looking at some different enumeration of the argument.  I have:

Clearly. I was referring to the enumeration in the SANE2004 paper, which is
kind of canonical:

7) The seventh step introduces the Universal Dovetailer (UD). Let N denotes the
set of
natural numbers. A function from N to N is said to be total if it is defined on
all natural
numbers. A function is said to be computable iff there is a programme FORTRAN
which
computes it12. Church thesis (CT) makes the particular choice of FORTRAN
irrelevant. CT
claims that all computable functions, total or not, are computed by algorithm
expressible in
FORTRAN. In particular all total computable functions are computed by such
FORTRAN
program...

8) Yes, but what if we don’t grant a concrete robust physical universe? Up to
this
stage, we can still escape the conclusion of the seven preceding reasoning
steps, by
postulating that a ‘‘physical universe’’ really ‘‘exists’’ and is too little in
the sense of not being
able to generate the entire UD*, nor any reasonable portions of it, so that our
usual physical
predictions would be safe from any interference with its UD-generated
‘‘little’’ computational
histories. Such a move can be considered as being ad hoc and disgraceful. It
can also be...