On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 5:31 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> *>>>I gave you the answer for year, but it asks for distinguishing the 1p
>> and the 3p*
>>
> >> And that is absolutely positively 100% impossible because in a world
>> where self duplication is common place there is no such thing as *THE*
>> first person.
>

> *>That is equivalent to saying that when we undergo a self-duplication,
> and thus even just a brain transplant, we die.*

No, that would be equivalent to saying "there is no such thing as *A* first
person", and saying such a thing would be absurd. I know for a fact that I
am conscious therefore I know for a fact that* A* first person exists; I am
almost certain that I am not the only conscious being in the universe
therefore I am almost certain *THE* first person does not exist.

>>> themselves in the city they feel to be in.
>>

> >> Then I guess you don't think the Helsinki man of yesterday survived
>> because today there is nobody in Helsinki and the mirror there is blank.
>

> *> I don’t see how that follows. It would be like saying that John Clark
> is dead right now in all places he is absent. *

You are absolutely correct, saying that would be exactly like saying John
Clark is dead right now in all places he is absent; but then I'm not the
one who said "*For both copies, “the first person” is the one in the mirror
they see themselves in the city they feel to be in*".

*> You are also predicting that if you look at the schroedinger cat, you
> die.*

Somebody did indeed predict that but that somebody was certainly NOT John
Clark, because John Clark was NOT the one who said "*the first person” is
the one in the mirror they see themselves in the city they feel to be in*".

> *> OK. But none get the feeling of his doppelgänger in any direct way.
> They have become two persons, with distinct and unique first person
> experience, and both are the H-man. Personal identity is not transitive. *

At last I agree with you about something!

John K Clark