> On 11 Sep 2020, at 15:49, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> And that is absolutely positively 100% impossible because in a world where
> >> self duplication is common place there is no such thing as THE first
> >> person.
>
> >That is equivalent to saying that when we undergo a self-duplication, and
> >thus even just a brain transplant, we die.
>
> No, that would be equivalent to saying "there is no such thing as A first
> person", and saying such a thing would be absurd. I know for a fact that I am
> conscious therefore I know for a fact that A first person exists; I am almost
> certain that I am not the only conscious being in the universe therefore I am
> almost certain THE first person does not exist.

> >> Then I guess you don't think the Helsinki man of yesterday survived
> >> because today there is nobody in Helsinki and the mirror there is blank.
>
> > I don’t see how that follows. It would be like saying that John Clark is
> > dead right now in all places he is absent.
>
> You are absolutely correct, saying that would be exactly like saying John
> Clark is dead right now in all places he is absent; but then I'm not the one
> who said "For both copies, “the first person” is the one in the mirror they
> see themselves in the city they feel to be in”.

If there is *a* first person, then “the” first person is the nique one you can
feel to be after the duplication. There are two 1-p only in the 3-p view of
them (3-1-p), but the subjective  life of the copies are pure 1-p, 1-1-p,
1-1-1-p, etc. After n duplications, each copies know there 1-p histories, and
what was meant by “The” in the the question asked in Helsinki.

If you call this “ambiguity”, just see the result as an understanding that the
laws of physics is a calculus of first person ambiguity instead of a first
person statistics. The mathematics gives 6 calculus, so some nuances in the
naming is welcome. The quantum formalism will then also introduce “ambiguity”,
because (without collapse) if mechanism is correct, the quantum originate from
that first person fuzziness, uncertainty, credibility, statistics ...

Bruno