> On 9 Sep 2020, at 13:01, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 4:40 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
>
> > It has a perfectly clear referent,
>
> If it were perfectly clear then why doesn't Bruno Marchal use the referent in
> Bruno Marchal's thought experiments rather than a personal pronoun? John
> Clark has been asking Bruno Marchal to do that for years but Bruno Marchal
> absolutely refuses.

That is incorrect. I gave you the answer for year, but it asks for
distinguishing the 1p and the 3p discourses, to which you refute with insults
and expression like “peepee”, which have failed to change my mind on this...

> > if you make precise if you talk about he first person “you” or about some
> > third person view.
>
> And as John Clark has been saying for years, if "you" is duplicated then
> there is no longer such a thing as "THE first person" there is only "A first
> person”.

Exactly, and that is the reason why in Helsinki, the guy cannot have any
certainty other that “W v M”, despite he is 100% certain (modulo his belief in
Mechanism) that he will survive. Like you said to Bruce, the fact that there is
a doppelgänger does not make you disappearing. For both copies, “the first
person” is the one in the mirror they see themselves in the city they feel to
be in. There are indeed two first person but each of them feel to be the first
person they have become to be, and they could not have predicted it in
Helsinki, without forcing one of the copy to assess that the prediction was
wrong.

Bruno