On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 10:15 AM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 8:32 AM Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> *> John - do you have any response?*
>>

> If you insist.
>
> >> It's not hard to make progress in consciousness research, it's
>>>>

>>> *So we should ignore experiments where you stimulate the brain and the
>>> subject reports experiencing some kind of qualia,*
>>>

> We should always pay attention to all relevant *BEHAVIOR**,* including
> *BEHAVIOR* such as noises produced by the mouths of other people.

Got it. Accounts of subjective experience are not the salient facts in
these experiments, it's the way they move their lips and tongue and pass
air through their vocal cords that matters. The rest of the world has moved
on from BF Skinner, but not you, apparently.

>> >*Why doesn't that represent progress?  *
>>>

> It may represent progress but not progress towards understanding
> consciousness.

Why not?  Understanding how the brain maps or encodes different subjective
experiences surely counts as progress towards understanding consciousness.
If we can explain why, for example, you see stars if you bash the back of
your head, but not the front, then that would count as progress towards
understanding consciousness.

>  > *Is it because you don't trust people's reports?*
>

> Trust but verify. When you and I talk about consciousness I don't even
> know if we're talking about the same thing; perhaps by your meaning of the
> word I am not conscious, maybe I'm conscious by my meaning of the word but
> not by yours, maybe my consciousness is just a pale pitiful thing compared
> to the grand glorious awareness that you have and what you mean by  the
> word "consciousness".  Maybe comparing your consciousness to mine is like
> comparing a firefly to a supernova. Or maybe it's the other way around.
> Neither of us will ever know.

You make it sound as though there's nothing to be gleaned from systematic
investigation, and the thing I understand the least is how incurious you
are about it. I mean, to each their own, but trying to grasp how objective
systems (like brains) and consciousness interrelate is perhaps the most
fascinating thing I can think of. The mystery of it is incredible to behold
when you really get into it.

Terren