On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 11:17 AM Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> We should always pay attention to all relevant *BEHAVIOR**,* including
>> *BEHAVIOR* such as noises produced by the mouths of other people.
>>

> *> Got it. Accounts of subjective experience are not the salient facts in
> these experiments, it's the way they move their lips and tongue and pass
> air through their vocal cords that matters. The rest of the world has moved
> on from BF Skinner, but not you, apparently. *

Forget BF Skinner, this is more general than consciousness or behavior. If
you want to explain Y at the most fundamental level from first principles
you can't start with "X produces Y'' and then use X as part of your
explanation of Y.

>> consciousness.
>>

> *> Why not?  Understanding how the brain maps or encodes different
> subjective experiences *

Because understanding how the brain maps and encodes information will tell
you lots about behavior and intelligence but absolutely nothing about
consciousness.

*> If we can explain why, for example, you see stars if you bash the back
> of your head,*

It might be able to explain why I say "I see green stars" but that's not
what you're interested in, you want to know why I subjectively experience
the green qualia and if it's the same as your green qualia, but no theory
can even prove to you that I see any qualia at all.

*> You make it sound as though there's nothing to be gleaned from
> systematic investigation,*

It's impossible to systematically investigate everything therefor a
scientist needs to use judgment to determine what is worth his time and
what is not. Every minute you spend on consciousness research is a minute
you could've spent on researching something far far more productive, which
would be pretty much anything. Consciousness research has made ZERO
progress over the last thousand years and I have every reason to believe it
will make twice as much during the next thousand.

*> the thing I understand the least is how incurious you are about it.*

The thing I find puzzling is how incurious you and virtually all internet
consciousness mavens are about how intelligence works. Figuring out
intelligence is a solvable problem, but figuring out consciousness is not,
probably because it's just a brute fact that consciousness is the way data
feels when it is being processed. If so then there's nothing more they can
be said about consciousness, however I am well aware that after all is said
and done more is always said and done.

.

.