On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 7:25 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> On 4/28/2021 3:17 PM, Terren Suydam wrote:
>

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 5:51 PM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 4:48 PM Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> *>>> testimony of experience constitutes facts about consciousness.*

>>> *> I hope the irony is not lost on anyone that you're insisting on your
>>> theory of consciousness to make your case that theories of consciousness
>>> are a waste of time.*
>>>

>> If you believe in Darwinian evolution and if you believe you are conscious
>> then given that evolution can't select for what it can't see and natural
>> selection can see intelligent behavior but it can't see consciousness, can
>> you give me an explanation of how evolution managed to produce a conscious
>> being such as yourself if intelligence is not the inevitable byproduct of
>> intelligence?
>>

> It's not an inevitable byproduct of intelligence if consciousness is an
> epiphenomenon. As you like to say, consciousness may just be how data feels
> as it's being processed. If so, that doesn't imply anything about
> intelligence per se, beyond the minimum intelligence required to process
> data at all... the simplest example being a thermostat.
>
> That said, do you agree that testimony of experience constitutes facts
> about consciousness?
>

> It wouldn't if it were just random, like plucking passages out of novels.
> We only take it as evidence of consciousness because there are consistent
> patterns of correlation with what each of us experiences.  If every time
> you pointed to a flower you said "red", regardless of the flower's color, a
> child would learn that "red" meant a flower and his reporting when he saw
> red wouldn't be testimony to the experience of  red.  So the usefulness of
> reports already depends on physical patterns in the world.  Something I've
> been telling Bruno...physics is necessary to consciousness.
>
> Brent

I agree with everything you said there, but all you're saying is that
intersubjective reality must be consistent to make sense of other peoples'
utterances. OK, but if it weren't, we wouldn't be here talking about
anything. None of this would be possible.

Terren