On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 10:08 AM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 9:34 AM Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> *> A theory would give you a way to predict what kinds of beings are
>> capable of feeling pain*
>>

> Finding a theory is not a problem, theories are a dime a dozen
> consciousness theories doubly so. But how could you ever figure out if
> your consciousness theory was correct?

The same way we figure out any theory is correct. Does it have explanatory
power, does it make falsifiable predictions. We're still arguing over
whether there's such a thing as a fact about consciousness, but if we can
imagine a world where you grant that there are, that's the world in which
you can test theories of consciousness.

>  > we'd say "given theory X,
>>

> And if the given X  which we take as being true is "Hogwarts exist" then we
> must logically conclude we could find Harry Potter at that magical school
> of witchcraft and wizardry.
>
> > *we know that if we create an AI with these characteristics,*
>>

> If you're talking about observable characteristics then yes, but then
> you're just talking about behavior not consciousness.

Sure, but we might be talking about the behavior of neurons, or their
equivalent in an AI.

> *> a theory of consciousness that explains how qualia come to be within a
>> system,*
>>

> Explains? Just what sort of theory would satisfy you and make you say the
> problem of consciousness has been solved? If I said the chemical Rednosium
> Oxide produced qualia would all your questions be answered or would you be
> curious to know how this chemical managed to do that?

All of our disagreements come down to whether there are facts about
consciousness. You don't think there are, and that's all the question above
is saying.