On 4/29/2021 7:08 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 9:34 AM Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com <mailto:terren.suy...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    /> A theory would give you a way to predict what kinds of beings
    are capable of feeling pain/

Finding a theory is not a problem, theories are a dime a dozen consciousness theories doubly so.But how could you ever figure out if your consciousness theory was correct?

    > we'd say "given theory X,

And if the given X  which we take as being true is "Hogwarts exist" then we must logically conclude we could find Harry Potter at that magical school of witchcraft and wizardry.

    > /we know that if we create an AI with these characteristics,/

If you're talking about observable characteristics then yes, but then you're just talking about behavior not consciousness.

    /> a theory of consciousness that explains how qualia come to be
    within a system,/

Explains?Just what sort of theory would satisfy you and make you say the problem of consciousness has been solved? If I said the chemical RednosiumOxide produced qualia would all your questions be answered or would you be curious to know how this chemical managed to do that?

You don't even have to invent an example.  Panpsychism seems to be the latest fad in consciousness philosophy...everything is conscious, a little bit.

Brent

    >///you could make claims about their experience that go beyond
    observing behavior./

Claims are even easier to come about then theories are, but true claims not so much.

John K Clark See what's on my new list at Extropolis <https://groups.google.com/g/extropolis>.

.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv1kQhdVYf5O9eLv2%3D16k%3Dm%2BE8mMhGd6CfwL_fGaB-SyHw%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv1kQhdVYf5O9eLv2%3D16k%3Dm%2BE8mMhGd6CfwL_fGaB-SyHw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.