On 4/28/2021 3:17 PM, Terren Suydam wrote:

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 5:51 PM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com <mailto:johnkcl...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 4:48 PM Terren Suydam
    <terren.suy...@gmail.com <mailto:terren.suy...@gmail.com>> wrote:

                />>> testimony of experience constitutes facts about
                consciousness./

            >> Sure I agree, provided you firstaccept that consciousness is
            the inevitable byproduct of intelligence

        /> I hope the irony is not lost on anyone that you're
        insisting on your theory of consciousness to make your case
        that theories of consciousness are a waste of time./

    If you believe in Darwinian evolution and if you believe you are
    consciousthen given that evolution can't select for what it can't
    see and natural selection can see intelligent behavior but it
    can't see consciousness, can you give me an explanation of how
    evolution managed to produce a conscious being such as yourself if
    intelligence is not the inevitable byproduct of intelligence?

It's not an inevitable byproduct of intelligence if consciousness is an epiphenomenon. As you like to say, consciousness may just be how data feels as it's being processed. If so, that doesn't imply anything about intelligence per se, beyond the minimum intelligence required to process data at all... the simplest example being a thermostat.

That said, do you agree that testimony of experience constitutes facts about consciousness?

It wouldn't if it were just random, like plucking passages out of novels.  We only take it as evidence of consciousness because there are consistent patterns of correlation with what each of us experiences.  If every time you pointed to a flower you said "red", regardless of the flower's color, a child would learn that "red" meant a flower and his reporting when he saw red wouldn't be testimony to the experience of  red.  So the usefulness of reports already depends on physical patterns in the world.  Something I've been telling Bruno...physics is necessary to consciousness.

Brent

Terren

    John K Clark See what's on my new list at Extropolis

    .

            .

        -

    Groups "Everything List" group.
    send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
    <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv3fvsASAZoMJ_WLCLYXTD0hDaszq-CDjjixLN1FSsiGvw%40mail.gmail.com

<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv3fvsASAZoMJ_WLCLYXTD0hDaszq-CDjjixLN1FSsiGvw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAMy3ZA_VGG8qrMqnm-W-UGnPDL_4EdynRPuxnSWddz4OTrcm7g%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAMy3ZA_VGG8qrMqnm-W-UGnPDL_4EdynRPuxnSWddz4OTrcm7g%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.