On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, David BAUDENS wrote:
| "Brian T. Schellenberger" écrivit :
|
| > | It's fixed in all Netscape-4.70-*mdk (except 4.70-5mdk). It's also fixed
| > | in 4-72-1mdk.
| >
| > Well, I have the strandard Mandrake 7.0 distribution, which has:
| >
| > netscape-communicator-4.70-6mdk.i586.rpm
| >
| > and I have never seen a less stable version in my entire life,
|
| Hi,
|
| Have you do an update ? If yes, unistall compat-glibc and compat-libs
| packages (and delete directories if they are not deleted), and reinstall
| them. Update seems don't work very good for theses packages on some
| configurations.
|
| If you have do a clean install, can you be more precise ? When, how and
| on which site Netscape crashes ? Have you enable Java ? JavaScript ?

It is a clean install, and there are two problems:

a) Some specific sites, such as "my excite home page" will crash quite
predictably, but at least it's fixed in the Mozilla alpha so I can
visiit them with that, and it's messages make it clear that it has
corrupt Java anyway.

| Is Netscape crash when you close one window ? If yes, it's a glibc
| problem. Either compat-*lib* packages are damage, either you start
| Netscape with /usr/bin/netscape-communicator or
| /usr/bin/netscape-navigator instead /usr/bin/netscape. It's notably the
| case if you use Gnome. .desktop are buggy before 4.72-1mdk version.

BINGO!!!

Yes, it's been crashing all the time when I close just one window, and
I actualy run it through a script from [EMAIL PROTECTED], which does, in
fact, bypass the netscape script.  This script was actually *fixing* a
problem I was having back when I started using it, but I'll bet it's
*causing* my problem now.

I cannot thank you enough.

This is actually the whole reason I was trying an upgrade in the first
place (the Netscape instability), and if it's really fixed, you just
sold me on Mandrake.