i also run win98se, and that doesn't seem to be as "crash-y," or at least, not
these kinds of crashes.  my ram is fine, the cpu shouldn't have a heat
problem...  not with the side open like i usually keep it.  and the usb has
never been a problem.

as to the questions.

1)there doesn't seem to be a pattern to the crashing.  at first i thought it
had to do with xmms (i'm always listening to something) but it doesn't always
crash when xmms is running and xmms isn't always running when it crashes.

2)i'm running kde7.2, usually in KDE2.  this is from the downloaded disk,
maximum install.  all packages.

3)what am i doing?  well, usually when it crashes i'm screaming at it, "what's
wrong with you????"  before it crashes, it can be anything.  it might have to
do with X, but i wouldn't know cos i usually don't spend whole sessions
strictly in console.

4)can i log into my own system via telnet?  i've tried, but it never seems to
work.  it's usually crashed by the time i get back.

5)has it always crashed?  is it getting more frequent?  well, it only crashes
like this in linux, and it seems to be pretty intermittent.  i was online for
about 5 hours with no problem, then i set xmms to run and lull me off to
sleep.  after about 20 minutes it froze.  today i was trying to log out of
kde2 and it said "logging out" and then it was frozen, X still proudly
onscreen.

6)i can still boot in win98 and it only crashes when ....  well, we're talking
windows.  but those are the ones i'm used to.  :)

7)to the best of my knowledge, neither i nor my pc have ever been to jersey.
but i've seen the whole jersey trilogy and dogma, but that's a whole other
forum...

8)i wouldn't mind having a turtle, but i'd rather have a cat.  but the dorms
frown on pets.

thanks for the help.

michael j. rogers.