had a similar problem with my abit bp6 smp mobo and had to update the
bios before the smp kernel would run without hanging in a similar
fashion to your box. The kernel.org 2.2.17 kernel compiled for smp would
work just fine however. Go figure. In the meantime consider you current
bios rev and evaluate whether you want or need to update it. Also
anything noted in the log files.

Tom Berkley