Hi
I tried and installed two different distributions of linux on the same
machine in order to compare them, etc.
The first one was a Mandrake 8.1 and I use its lilo to boot all other
OS. Everything was OK and worked smoothly.
However, I installed a SuSE 7.0 and during the installation process
everything worked fine.
When I rebooted, the SuSE started to behave strangely. Modprobe could
not find the eth0 for instance. I was not able to mount vfat partitions.
I could not even makeconfig in order to recompile the kernel (I thought
something got wrong with the NIC driver).
This was at work.
At home I tried the same combination with the same result.
Then I changed the things on my machine at home. I installed SuSE 6.3 to
be the first linux and as the second I tried a Mandrake 8.0 that I had
installed successfully some months before. It did not work. I suspected
that something is wrong and installed as the only linux the said SuSE
7.0 on another machine. It was just perfectly ok.
Then at work I booted the SuSE 7.0 via the boot floppy disk and it
worked fine, modeprobed everything, the network was fine, etc.
When I booted the Mandrake it initialized and then it had an error with
the X server that was totally unexpected and hardly recoverable.
What's wrong?
Is it the LILO that messes up things?
Is it the swap partition that is read by both OS?
Is it possible to have two linuxes on a single machine at all?
How can I avoid booting any linux via a floppy boot disk which I find
inconvenient?

Thanks
Chavdar