I've been watching how this thread progressed.  I've noticed two pieces
of FUD that keep appearing.

1. The assumption that a virus writer wouldn't know that he/she needs to
be root to do real damage and that he/she won't do just that.  Don't
give yourself a sense of false security here.  All they need to do is
have a line appended to Passwd and shadow (yes even MD5 is vulnerable
here, all it takes is some math.) and they have a new user that has UID
0 and they don't even need to be root.  Remember they are in your box.
Harden it all you want to the outside. Your vulnerability is when they
are inside. (Oh and we did this recently to a Linux box that the user
had forgotten the root password on.  For reasons it couldn't be shut
down. If we had it would never boot again. Didn't have a spare to mount
the disk on.  So I used a friends tool to append a new user to passwd
and poof root2 was now UID 0. )

2. That backups cure all ills.

  True if I have a desktop.  That never moves, and I have hard copy
backups disassociated from my LAN (Tape CD-Rom etc.) is guaranteed to be
free of the virus, and that the virus lives in user land where it can be
found.  A backup is useful.  What if the virus lives in the MBR?  MBR's
are usually written to during an install, but not wiped and written
over.  (Don't ask me how I know this is a great place to put a virus
.... just trust me.) What if the virus infected your box 2 months ago
and is just now activating?  How far back do I go in backups?  If it was
just the OS I wouldn't care.  OS's can be recreated in a reasonable
amount of time.  DATA is the key.  If I just restore from a backup .....
how much do I lose?  When did I get the virus?  Do I lose a week a month
a year of data?  (get Chernobyl the day after the anniversary it will
wait a year to activate.)  Backups although a great Idea are a false
sense of security.  Not to mention that since my backup is currently
about 12gigs of data.  It takes me about 8 hours to restore. (It has to
move over a LAN as the  tape is on another box and yes.... 13 of them.
Let's see at 150 bucks an hour consulting rate I'm losing 1200 dollars
just in time spent restoring.  (can't do work till I get the data back.)

  Then if I'm on the road with my laptop and a virus activates.... how
do I restore?  The presentation before the customer is in 3 hours.  My
box just went sideways because of a virus. (caught it when I connected
to the LAN at the last customers office.  They run windows and this is a
dual affect virus.) I'm in Philly and my backup is in Memphis.... Move
several gigs of data over a hotel phone line?  Yeah right....

  The only answer is to realize that Linux is vulnerable. It's just not
as popular an OS for script kiddies and the script kiddie tool writer to
use.  Remember folks the first worm was a Unix worm.  The first Virus I
know of ran on HoneyWell Main Frames.  And it wasn't networked.  They
didn't read e-mail on it, and all someone did was load a data tape
received from our best customer.  (actually it took 3 tapes.  Loaded
weeks apart each one contained, unknown to the customer, a piece of the
virus stored in the leftover space in partically used data blocks so
that we couldn't see a size change from what was expected. When part 3
came in it looked for 1 and 2 and re-assembled itself.)

  I apologize a little bit here.  Didn't want to shake the tree and
start a war.  But I do care enough about fscking the "blackhats" that
the occasional wake up call for those of us who respect each other, and
their data (which is a lot of why we use Linux/BSD et al), is needed.
My wife just got a virus sent to her that had already been through at
least 3 other anti-virus programs. (My MailScanner caught it so no harm
to me.) We don't need a patch gentlemen we need a plan.

James