The difference is that Linux restricts access by default, Windows grants it.  It is
true, that some (many) people login as root for convenience, and they could also
install everything (although Mandrake at least questions starting some services
automatically, if you do select them all).  But, even so, it is still much more
difficult to inflict a virus on Linux than on Windows.  It is a user's responsibility
to install security updates and many distributions make it relatively easy and
painless.  Again, as contrasted with Windows, when Microsoft actually admits a
security problem (usually after someone else has gone public with it), their patches
create more vulnerabilities.  Hardly a good example.

In short, you are correct, you can install Linux and circumvent all the security so
you have a wide open system.  The key, though is that you have to take action to do
so.  The Microsoft alternative does it for you!

Joe