And this leads to the simple conclusion that if one has physical access to a
computer, then security is largely out the window.  Any clown could come in
and bootup with a rescue disk (addressing the linux aspect) and do whatever
to your drives.  If they had the time, they could also bring in a set of
linux distro disks and reinstall linux their way.

The only way to prevent this is to turn off the booting from CD in bios and
password protecting bios, but then, with physical access it is trivial to
kill the bios password (just crack the case and remove the mobo battery for a
minute - bios settings are back to default and accessible without a password).

Thus, I see no harm at all in hearing the means one would use to create a UID
0 person, append them to passwd and create an appropriately
formatted/encrypted shadow password for them in /etc/shadow.

praedor