I am also a little leery of using linuxconf for this.  It (linuxconf) appeared
to bork my attempts at wlan ad-hoc networking and I was told not to use it in
a wlan mailing list.  In the past I have tried changing the hostname via
linuxconf with mucked up results.  I will give it a shot again but still,
what file/system config contains THE hostname information utilized by
"hostname"?  If is isn't /etc/hostname, /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1, or
/etc/init.d/boot as mentioned in the hostname manpage, then what is it?

Regardless of whether or not I use linuxconf, I would like to know this so I
can always manually fix likely screwups from automagic tools.

praedor

On Sunday 23 June 2002 08:43 pm, daRcmaTTeR wrote:

> Todd Lyons wrote:
> | daRcmaTTeR wrote on Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 09:16:58PM -0400 :
> |>It's really quite simple. Open Linuxconf->Networking->Host name and IP
> |
> | I usually recommend not to use linuxconf except as a last resort.  It
> | does some things to the system in a not friendly way and has left a bad
> | taste in my mouth. Maybe it's better now, but I'm not going to trust it
> | myself.  Use webmin or mcc instead.
> |
> | Blue skies...               Todd
>
> well...depending upon your system setup, mine included, you have to be
> careful at the end of things when you're shutting it down. Linuxconf
> often wants to "update" the system status. Most of the time, because of
> the way I've got my FTP server setup I don't allow it to do anything.
> However, thats just on the server. the workstations are a different story.
[...]