Praedor Tempus wrote on Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 04:18:14PM -0500 :
> OK, I want to change the name of my laptop from the default
> localhost.localdomain to lapdog.ravenhome.net.  Looking at the manpage for
> hostname, it mentions: /etc/init.d/boot, /etc/hostname, and
> /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 as where/how hostname is set.  Uh-uh!  Does not does not!

vi /etc/sysconfig/network
  HOSTNAME="lapdog.ravenhome.net"
  DOMAINNAME="ravenhome.net"

Note that you either need to have:
1) a DNS server that returns authoritative info for the ravenhome.net
domain, especially the host lapdog.  If you are using 192.168.* or 10.*
or 172.16/20 IP addresses, then you need to have a nameserver that
provides different answers based on where the name query originates
from.
-OR-
2) Configure it in /etc/hosts of all machines that need to access it
directly.

Blue skies...           Todd
--
  Todd Lyons -- MandrakeSoft, Inc.   http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because