Todd Lyons grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> Damian G wrote on Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 05:03:22PM +0000 :
> >
> > [I said...]
> > > Needless to say, I end up with an unusable disk 2 as a result of this.  Any
> > > chance that Mandrake can issue new versions of those ISO files, distributed
> > > a bit differently?  Disk 3 only has about a bit more than 400M of data in
> > > it, so some of the files could be put there, perhaps....?
>
> Sorry, but not possible.  But..

A request then:  In future releases, *please* keep in mind that not
everybody can use 700M CDs when they burn ISOs to them.  Sticking to a 650M
size factor makes sure that *everyone* can burn a proper CD.

Pretty please? :-)

> > well, if you know how to extract files from an ISO image, then maybe
> > you could make one for yourself.. try extracting all content from the
> > second CD, delete 50 MB of files you are positive you will not need,
> > and then burn that.  ( of course your self-made second CD won't be
> > bootable anymore. but at least you can use it for the install)
>
> Very good advice.  If you need help doing this, post here and someone
> can assist you.

As you'll probably have observed by now, someone did post information on
how to go about doing this.  I was able to do it and remove the OpenOffice
stuff, which gave me a size that I could then put on a 650M disk.  Once
I've reinstalled my now-trashed system (thanks to the bad CD 2
<grumble>....), I'll be able to install the OpenOffice stuff from my /home
partition (which will NOT be getting formatted during the install :).

                       --Dave
--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!
 http://www.akaMail.com/pgpkey/davidg or key server