On Thursday 03 October 2002 01:19 pm, David Guntner wrote:
> I've got a good .iso download of all three disk (md5sum says that they're
> all fine, according to the md5sums.90 file that is provided).  However,
> disk 2 appears to have a bit too much information on it.  My CD burner is
> an older one that won't burn 700M disks - only the older 650M disks.  And
> Easy CD Creator 5 Pro says that there's about 680M of data in that ISO
> file.
>
> Needless to say, I end up with an unusable disk 2 as a result of this.  Any
> chance that Mandrake can issue new versions of those ISO files, distributed
> a bit differently?  Disk 3 only has about a bit more than 400M of data in
> it, so some of the files could be put there, perhaps....?
>
> I've got a dead system here as a result of a bad upgrade (because "upgrade
> packages" didn't even tell me that there was a problem - I just got to the
> end and it sayd that there was an error and that needed rpm files hadn't
> been loaded.  It wasn't until I wiped my system and did an install from
> scratch that I got messages about each rpm file (and there were quite a few
> of them) as the error occurred.  Unfortunately, this doesn't do much for me
> fixing the problem.  And as the web site is only announcing "pre order," it
> doesn't sound like I'm going to find it in the stores.  WHY did they create
> an ISO file that's going to burn a disk bigger than 650M?  They got it
> right up to the 8.2 release....
>
>                 --Dave

How old is that burner? Mine is a circa 1998 Mitsumi CR-4804 TE; and it not
only will burn 700 MB disks, but the download edition of 9.0 I'm using now
was burned on 90 minute disks. cdrecord sees it as "apparently a Phillips..."
Installed easily with only the usual brain f@rt$ on my part. :-) Late at
night/early morning ya know.

The disks were properly identified; writing was done from the command line
under 9.0 beta2 (updated to be equivalent to the release) through the usual
urpm methods. I burned those beta2 disks on 700 MB disks as well. Is there a
reason you're using Windows and Windows software to burn _GNU/Linux_ disks?
Is it just the familiarity? I tried the same trick when I started around 3
years ago and I'm surprised I actually managed to come out of it with a
bootable (dual) system. I no longer dual boot though. At least not with
Windows.

I'm not trying to be obnoxious Dave but the reason (I think, maybe, possibly)
that my CD-RW works and yours doesn't under the circumstances, is that I
upgraded the firmware back when 700 MB CDs started becoming commonplace. Is
there a firmware update for your burner? The original specs for mine claimed
650 MB maximum too. I went looking on Google, found the update, installed it
and never had a problem since.

Please have a look at the relevant manufacturer's site for revisions before
you have any more trouble. The updated firmware for my burner was
specifically for newer media. As in larger. Under Windows of course.

Best of luck.

Charlie