Hi,

I installed Linux-Mandrake 9.0.  Everything went pretty smooth.  Selected
Gnome for default desktop.  After install, upon reboot got "first-time" (I
think) screen, to do more configuration.  This screen was unusable, because
the display was all messed up.  I had basically three vertical bands across
the screen:  red, green, and blue, I think.  On top of that, there was the
first-time screen, but it was all out of sync and mostly unreadable.  Also,
I couldn't find the mouse pointer anywhere on the screen, not that there was
really anything to click on.  I had to use the cpu reset button to quit the
screen.

Since then, when I boot I go right to desktop, but the screen is still
messed up.  The left-hand third of the display is repeated in the middle and
right sides of the screen, and it's kind of wavy and unreadable in places.
On that screen, I was able to find the mouse pointer and get to a menu item
called "action->logoff" (I think that's what it was), but that's all.

I picked all the defaults, except I took 1280x1024, instead of 1600x1200,
for display res.

Has anyone seen this?  Where do I go from here?  I uninstalled Mandrake, and
will re-install soon, but what do I do different, or if I end up with the
same thing, how do I troubleshoot?  The installation guide doesn't seem to
cover my case.

Is there a better place to ask this question?

My system is
motherboard:  GVC-VP1541
cpu:  AMD-K6P2/350
video:  SiS 5598/6326