On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 06:56, Tim Werner wrote:
> Mikko,
>
> Thanks for the info.  ML9.0 install didn't give me many options -- it seemed
> to be making most decisions for me.  I was surprised, in fact, that it
> installed boot manager with linux as default without even asking.  I
> couldn't figure out how to change the default OS later, which is why I had
> to uninstall.
>
> I'll give it another try, and see if there's some way to pick the X version.
> It's a shame they would be dropping support for perfectly good hardware that
> isn't that old.  :-(

SiS isn't that old, but the company is that uncooperative.  And in my
opinion inconsistant.  (I've just spent 3 days trying to install ANY
windows product on one of the these SiS enabled monsters and MDK went
into it without a hitch.

As for how to get the 3.3.6 vs 4.2.1 install... If you haven't wiped the
drive yet go to a command screen (cntrl --- alt -- f1 ) and use
drakxconf  reconfigure all the steps (chose your monitor your res etc
etc etc.) During this it should give you the option of the two.

If you have wiped it when you do the next install chose Install - Expert
... Just like in windows the expert install really just gives you more
choices ... it' s not all that difficult.

OH yeah... there is a third option.  IF the drive isn't wiped .  Put in
disk one and start the install.  chose expert install and when the
screen comes up for disks uncheck all of the them.  Then when you get to
the packages page uncheck everything.  It will whirr for a minute or two
(seeing if everything is installed) then go on to configuring your
network and X.  You'll now be able to chose 3.3.6 and configure it.  Run
the test if it allows you too and you'll know before the boot if it's
going to work.

James