I agree that XFree is still not as bullet proof as it
should be. This is probably mostly due to the lack of
card/chipset data from the video card makers as well
as just the pure difficulty in writing drivers. There
are lots of cards that are working well and I would
suggest to anyone that wants to try Linux that they
check into hardware support and stick with the most
popular mainstream hardware because that gets the most
attention from developers and testers. I know this
does not help you. Sorry. If you still need help and
you can manage a command line, I suggest that you post
your xfree log file here. Maybe we can give you some
hints.

--- Tim Werner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Thanks for the info and advice.
>
> I tried re-installing in expert mode, which allowed
> me to configure the boot
> manager, so that part I'm happy with.
>
> As far as X is concerned, right now it's pretty much
> a disaster.  I tried
> all sorts of configurations, and I either get a test
> screen that doesn't
> work, or I get an error message about "no keyboard
> configured", or other
> confusing error, and a suggestion that I should try
> to change some
> parameters.
>
> Any attempt to select XFree3 resulted in suggestion
> to try some other
> parameters.  Same thing with attempt to select
> XFree4 with VESA.  Just about
> the only config that actually resulted in a test
> screen was the one with my
> actual SiS card (as auto-detected)
>
> [emotional outburst on]
> Apparently Xfree is still not ready for prime-time,
> which is a little
> discouraging to me.  This really isn't any easier
> than it was 9 years ago.
> From the mailing list and other linux-centric web
> sites that I've been
> reading, I can tell that a lot of other people are
> at least able to get the
> desktop up and running.  I really expected to get
> past this point before I
> started running into trouble.  :-(
> [emotional outburst off]
>
> Not sure where to turn at this point.  I seem to
> have a combination of bad X
> support for my video card, and Mandrake
> X-configuration bugs.  Probably I'll
> have to wait until broadband becomes available in my
> area and try redhat or
> else the next rev of mandrake.  Maybe after a nap
> things will seem different
> and I'll try something else.

=== message truncated ===> Want to buy your Pack or
Services from MandrakeSoft?