Mike,

Thanks for your encouragement.  I would indeed like to spend more time on
this if I can get some help with it.

I had to return the video card on my first PC system (it was a Diamond
Viper) for an ATI Mach32, for just the reason that Diamond considered their
specs to be proprietary and thus no one could write a linux driver for it.
At the time, I sent the Diamond people an email letting them know that I had
to return their card because they couldn't be supported by linux.  I'm sure
they couldn't have cared less; I never heard back from them.

It always irked me that the Mach32 card wasn't quite as snappy under Win3.1
as the Viper card, but at the time I felt the little sacrifice in Windows
performance was worth it, because I was running Unix at home!

I'd forgotten all that.  Now you mention it, I have to admit the situation
hasn't really changed.

At any rate, if you could tell me how to generate it, I'd be happy to post
the xfree log file here.  I have been able to log in as root without
starting X, and can do ls and cd commands, but that's all I remember, so
far.

Thanks,
Tim

Introducing NetZero Long Distance