On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 14:56 +0000, Dallam Wych wrote:

> > BTW: What doo you think is the German way of today? From your
> > statement I doubt that you have any clue.
> In all honesty, I only spend a few weeks a year now in germany as
> opposed to the 1970's when I spent perhaps 3 months out of the year
> there. My opinions are formed as are most everyones...by what we
> read and from what friends in other countries convey to us. Call
> that clueless if you like.

I live here. And I am not dependent on any German papers because I
watch foreign tv (CNN, BBC, NBC) as well as German tv.

> And why shouldn't a european country shoulder the burden of
> defending itself? Provide its own soldiers, etc? I just personally
> believe that NATO isn't a viable option for the US or the UK.

OK, back to the times of "Splendid Isolation". Apart from the fact
that I just love England, went to school there and return twice a year
for a short vacation with friends in London and Exeter, Devon, I don't
care too much for British politics.
I am not against a "European Military Union" instead of NATO. NATO had
it's time during the cold war and Europe was a fine buffer zone for
the USA but times have changed.

> For the US inparticular in light of the rabid anti-americanism
> there. It costs a lot of money to keep troops stationed on foreign
> soil, plus it pumps a lot of money into countries that dispise you
> anyway.

The rabid Anti-Americanism, think back when did it start? Yes, it
really started after Mr. Bush was ruled into presidency.

> _world_ carried this story for at least the last week of the german
> election. I could swear it was mentioned about the same time one of
> the german politicians compared Bush to Hitler, but then again I
> might be mistaken.

Another fact that was formed by the press. What did she really say
exactly? She said that Mr. Bush uses a strategy which was well known
and used by mighty men like (she named a British guy I can't
remember), Hitler, Napoleon, and some others back to Machiavelli.

So if you read it closely all she did was stating a historical fact.
Your military leaders use the same tactics as some German generals
during WWII and some generals before them because they are tactics out
of military books that are used in Sandhurst and Annapolis as well as
in the strategy lessons all around the world. So I do compare your
generals with German WWII generals? Yes but in a historical context.

Just a small example of what can be done by misinformation.
Not that the US administration would be too shy to do such things as
trying to manipulate the media.

> I think this is a matter of convenience and I feel one day in the
> not to distant future given the latest franco-german manipulation of
> the european union I will be proven right.

No manipulation there. Or do you think Germany would face a slap in
the face by the European Union if there were such manipulations?

> History is full of things you can't imagine people actually were bad
> enough to do.

If our chanceller would do other than the parliament entitles him to
do he would be out of office the same minute. Our political system
works different than yours.

wobo