On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 14:54, Ron Stodden wrote:
> Vincent Danen wrote:
> > On Mon Feb 03, 2003 at 07:40:27PM +1100, Ron Stodden wrote:
>
> >>Interestingly, a reinstall did not fix anything, like it does with
> >>Windows 98
> >>(but _NOT_ always) - which is a serious requirements or design problem with
> >>the Mandrake installer.
> >

> > The installer goes with the packages it's given... it doesn't install
> > something and go "hey wait a minute" and intelligently fix your problem
> > for you.
>
> It should restore your system to the same state as when it was originally
> installed, except for your customisation and data, which it and rpm
> knows to
> leave alone.   This does imply checksums or backup copies on hand of
> installed
> unchanging files.    The installer/reinstaller has access to the RPM
> library used
> at original installation.

It'd be great if it wold wax my car too -- I mean, I can manage the time
to do the coin-op car wash and everything, but it's not the same as a
really good hand-buff.

> My point is that Win 98 does this.   Plainly, or fortuitously, it was an
> important
> requirement and goal of installer implementation.

That may be the intention, but a reinstall of Windows over the same
partition has never actually solved a problem for me -- and let me tell
you, I've tried more than once :-)

> New arrivals to Mandrake
> from Windows - near all of us? -

Primarily using Linux since 1998.

> expect no less, particularly when no other
> solution to a randomly clobbered system is offered.   Recall that the i86
> architecture fails to offer hardware memory block protection that would
> immediately
> trap any program's attempt to write-access outside its allocated or
> shared memory
> blocks.    The CDC 6600 had this implemented, so the technology is
> nothing new -
> except to Intel.     That's the major reason why i86 architecture is not
> "safe",
> especially for multiple concurrent users, and not useable for critical
> missions.

Let's take a moment to re-evaluate the hardware decisions that we've all
made... Anyone using hardware-protected-memory big iron for a desktop or
laptop, raise your hand! Personally, I'm gonna trade in my Vaio for an
AS/400 (or whatever it's call this week) because it just raises eyebrows
when you roll that big black box into a meeting :-) Seriously, the old
saying applies here: "Unix is user-friendly, it's just picky about who
its friends are." If you want it to protect you from screwing up your
system and make roll-back of mistakes a perfect and easy one-click
operation, come back in five years and it might be there. In the
meantime, try something that starts with user experience and then works
towards power-usage and cool features instead of the other way around.

> It is incredible to me that this obvious requirement seems to have been
> totally
> overlooked by Mandrake. which is more evidence that the developers just
> ignore
>   industry experience and do not appear to actually be using the product
> in any
> user-workhorse mode.

The industry is pretty clear that it accepts Linux on the
low-to-mid-range X86 server and may eventually accept it on desktops.
Everything else is bleeding edge hackers.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...