On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 00:47, Vincent Danen wrote:

> Agreed.  It's pretty solid.  I did manage to hang my cooker box once or
> twice, but hey, it's cooker.  I expect this sort of stuff occassionally.

You know, I can probably count on two hands the number of times my Linux
boxes have crashed for something other than hardware. I've been using
Linux for something like 7 years so this equates to a little more than a
single crash every year. That is about right.

At my former company the MDK 7.1 server was recently brought down
accidentally after almost 18 months of uptime (someone was ssh'ed in and
ran an init 0 on the wrong shell).  Not bad.

There's a joke that goes something like this:

What's the difference between Windows and Linux developers?

On hearing that a machine achieves 99.9% uptime, a Windows developer
will put this in their marketing, congratulate themselves and throw a
party in celebration.

A Linux developer will try to determine what went wrong.

Sad, but it's true.