On Tuesday 04 February 2003 04:59 am, Steffen Barszus wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 February 2003 07:22, Vincent Danen wrote:
> > On Tue Feb 04, 2003 at 09:54:32AM +1100, Ron Stodden wrote:

> > Well, be that as it may, did DrakX ever advertise this windows-alike
> > behaviour?  Did it say that if you did a package upgrade install that
> > it would do what you seem to expect it to do?
> >
> > This isn't something you should be bitching about post-release... this
> > is something you should bring up during development...  I can't recall
> > ever seeing any thread about this to date.  To say that "updates
> > clobbered your system and DrakX didn't fix it for me" when we never
> > said it would do this, is not really acceptable.  You should bring this
> > up with the developers.  Not sitting back and crying about it because
> > you just assumed it was there.
> >
> > > It is incredible to me that this obvious requirement seems to have been
> > > totally
> > > overlooked by Mandrake. which is more evidence that the developers just
> > > ignore
> > >  industry experience and do not appear to actually be using the product
> > > in any
> > > user-workhorse mode.
> >
> > Well, that's just a load of crap and you know it.  I think I use my
> > workstation just as hard as any Win98 user does... and it's rock solid
> > for me.  Don't use the product in any user-workhorse mode?  Yeah...
> > right.
> >
> > Anyways, this is something you should bring up on cooker... I doubt it
> > can be accomplished for 9.1, but if no one asks for it, we dont't think
> > about it or know it's important to people.  Can't be *that* important
> > as this is the first I've heard of it in 3 years.  Remember, we are not
> > Windows.  Ok, we may be missing some of the good features of Windows in
> > some instances, but we're also missing a lot of the bad ones.  We
> > didn't set out to make a Windows clone, you know.
>
> Woow. No please no "reinstalling will solve your Problems". I can't believe
> someone can get such an idea. IF there should be a system-restoring app,
> then it should not use bad design like "re-installing" to do its job. We
> are using linux, so if it will be done it should work like WinXP restoring
> and with given seperated configuration and apps the restoring should be
> functional without eating up disc-space like XP do. (saving the index of
> installerd rpm's and backing up conf-files should do the job , shouldn't it
> ?) For sure a nice idea for newbies.
hmmm sounds like rtfd is not his friend, and I would sure have been suprized
if he felt the same way had he considered the f1-rescue instead of enter to
install, and the fact it is all spelled out in a manner even a 12 year old
native english speaker could understand. I think the rescue mode is what he
is asking for. or else he is asking for M$. and believe me, reinstalling over
a botched install/configuratiion of M$anything does not neccessarly fix
anything.