Andre Labbe wrote:
> the problem. in 8.2 and before I add an AWE32 and if I recall it was ok.

The AWE32/AWE64's are still great cards, if you don't need 48KHz sampling rate.

You can find used AWE64s for $10 or so at the swap meets here in Arizona.

They used to spend more money on the parts that went into a sound card then
they do now. They charge a little less money for them now also. (I am making
generalizations here. There are more expensive, better sounding cards made
today if you look for them.)

I remember buying my first SB AWE64, new, in '97. It was around $130.

As far as I'm concerned, Grip is the application for ripping and encoding. It
can be configured to pretty much do anything that you want to. It automates
the process very nicely, including downloading cddb info to be include in
filenames and/or id3 tags etc..

I have over 1700 tracks in my personal collection so I don't have to go and
grab for the CD to play something, or to find it quick. (edna rocks as a local
music server, BTW) I did it in a few evenings using grip (w/ gogo and cdparanoia).

Using a decent, HiFi preamp between your turntable's cartridge and the
'line-in' jacks on your computer will make things sound a lot better. (As will
using a good turntable, arm, cart. etc.) There is nothing in the sound card
itself to perform the inverse-RIAA equalization needed to properly play an LP.
Trying to do it with software will rob you of 38dB of the dynamic range and
S/N potential of your soundcard.(This sucks) Use a good old-fashioned preamp,
receiver, control-amp, or whatever, that has actual phono inputs and line outs.

Especially one with valves glowing... ;-)

Hard drive space is cheap... Use High BitRates !

--
KevinO

If Microsoft built cars, If you were involved in a crash, you would have
no idea what happened.