On Wednesday 01 October 2003 10:44 am, Anne Wilson wrote:

> Hi, DarkLord.  OK - if I turn igain down to 0 I lose the noise, but
> even 3 brings it back.  I presume it is some sort of feedback, but I
> don't know what's causing it.
>
> Meanwhile, I had looked at Audacity and Rezound, but without success.
> These are the error messages:
>
> Rezound -
> virtual void COSSSoundRecorder::initialize(CSound*)
>  -- error opening OSS device '/dev/dsp
>  -- Device or resource busy
>
> Audacity -
> Error opening audio device
> (Change the device in the Preferences dialog.)
>
> /dev/dsp is the only entry in the Preferences dialog.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Anne

Anytime I get that error (it does happen a bit here also) as root, I do a:

lsof /dev/dsp

and that shows me what is holding on to it. This usually happens to me when
I'm trying to run a game and it starts with no sound. The single most common
villian is "artsd". I usually kill it, "killall -9 artsd" and then I get my
sound back.

Keep pluggin'! :-)

--

                                                          /\