<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "abutilon108" <abutilon108@>
> wrote:
> >
> > I signed the pledge much later on and I'm quite sure the wording
> > was different. It seems not everyone would have signed the same
> > pledge, although as I remember what you were agreeing to was
> > pretty much the same.
>

> The later versions, like the one I signed, had the phrase that said
> the movement could seek financial "equitable relief" if you spilled
> any of the beans.  Nice to have a little legal threat along with the
> spiritual stuff before you get your mantras!  No copies were allowed
> to be kept of any legal document I ever signed in the movement.  Do
> they still have you sign legal waivers before courses?
>
> They did something really odd right before we became teachers.  They
> had us hold our movement "file" which we were not allowed to look
> into.  But we had to  hold it.  It was supposed to contain every
> course we were on, all recommendation letters etc.  I wonder what
> that was all about?  Perhaps it was a message "we have a file on you,
> so be cool MF".  But I suspect they were following the letter rather
> than the spirit of some disclosure law.  Very interesting, does anyone
> know what that was about?

No idea, but it reminds me of a funny draft story
from the late 60s. A fellow I knew got his draft
notice and went to the Induction Center and they
handed him his folder to carry with him as he
walked through the physical and all the steps of
being inducted into the Army. He started looking
through the folder, noticing that everything in
it was an original, not a copy, and slowly it
dawned on him that not only was this his folder,
it was *his folder*. It was the original.

Taking a chance that it was not only the original
copy but the only copy, he just stepped out of
line, went back to the dressing room, put on his
clothes, and walked out, still carrying his folder.

He never heard from Selective Service again. Never.
He just fell off their radar.

Fortunately, this was before the era of personal
computers, so I guess in his area everything was
handled via paper, and no one had ever considered
the possibility that someone, handed his entire
folder, would just walk out with it.