--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "endlessrainintoapapercup"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "BillyG." <wgm4u@> wrote:
> >
> > I was visiting my brother recently viewing some of Nature's
> > resplendent beauty in Nevada, and my Harvard Law school graduated,
> > atheist brother ask me; "One thing my professors could never tell me
> > is why we experience joy and appreciation when we see the beauties of
> > nature"?
> >
> > Well, I thought a moment, and said; "Hey Cyril, I know the answer to
> > that question". Well much to his chagrin I delivered this answer, "The
> > flower is a reflection (and a clue) as to what is hidden
> > underneath..." Well, he was beginning to feel a little uncomfortable
> > at this point and ask his wife to shut me up, so I continued.
> >
> > "..and the reason WE feel joy and appreciation at the sight of beauty
> > is, a portion of that beauty is hidden within us as well (as our own
> > self) and as such, nature (in this case a flower) functions as a
> > reminder, inspiring a memory of our long lost spiritual home within".
> >
> > Well it was pretty quiet for the rest of the day, some liberal
> > atheists don't like to entertain opposing points of view, especially
> > if it challenges the whole foundation of their lives.....:-)
> >

> The question is beautiful, and so is your
> answer, but it isn't really the kind of
> question that has a particular answer.

Thanks, but I believe otherwise.

> Rather it reflects the deep and open-
> ended mystery of life. It was a spiritually
> reflective question arising from open
> mind.

Granted, he had an open mind, not knowing there was actually an answer
to his question!!

> Actually, the way you recounted
> it, it wasn't even a question...it was a
> statement. Perhaps he didn't seek or
> expect an answer at all. With life's deep
> mysteries, the question is often enough.

Agreed, though I think he meant to imply he had asked the question. I
don't think he expected an answer, but was it asking too much for him
to allow me to express my inspiration due to the beautiful
surroundings we were viewing?

> When we make definitive statements
> about others, it is often useful to turn
> those statements around and apply
> them to ourselves. Maybe you are the
> one who doesn't like to entertain
> opposing points of view which
> challenge your philosophical foundations.

Maybe but mostly likely not, I love to challenge my beliefs, it gives
me an opportunity to test my conclusions....let the chips fall where
they may, that is my motto.

> One can even see your brother as
> the teacher who provided you with
> an opportunity to go more deeply,
> but that you were not able to accept
> what he offered,

He never had anything to offer!!! Atheists generally don't, but that
is another subject.

>and sought the
> familiarity and comfort of a rote
> answer--albeit a valid and poetic
> answer.
>
> It's a beautiful teaching story that
> you have shared...reminding me of
> traditional teaching stories. It is very
> deep and profoundly thought-full.
> Thank you for sharing it.

Thanks I enjoyed your comments!!